Monday, January 21, 2013

So It May Go Well

This morning I was getting breakfast for the girls and they were both in the kitchen squawking and squeaking and I just looked down at them and it was like everything slowed down and I muted them for a moment. All I could hear were the thoughts running through my mind. "I am not fit to be a mom, how will i do this, I'm not succeeding in raising them well, they really need baths, I really need to brush my teeth, I can't believe the Lord entrusted these cute people to me, please help, etc..." You get the point. I know these thoughts I have about myself as a crappy parent are primarily lies, but it's so easy to get sucked into them. It's a daily battle for me to understand that God gave me my children, because He cares for me, because He loves me and knows the desires of my heart. He is allowing me to have time with them, to grow with them, to make mistakes with them and to learn to love Jesus more because Of them.

With that said, my three year old is a fiery girl with a passion for life that growls from her belly. She's passionate when she's happy and passionate when she's upset. She is a handful, a very cute handful. Currently we're in the trenches of teaching her the importance of obedience and respect. Gah, I'm so tired. She is so persistent and determined and it is so very difficult. There are many times I want to throw in the towel, and just let her run rampant. Because it's easier than being consistent. Oh, but we won't let her run rampant, because we desire for her to learn, to learn respect, the importance of grace and to feel secure in the boundaries we give her.
"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.  "Honor your father and mother" (this is the first commandment with a promise),  "that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land." Ephesians 6:1-3

I want it to go well with her ( and violet). This is the reason the hubby and I are trying to be consistent and sticking with discipline. Our desire is for our children to feel so secure in the Lord and the boundaries we give them, that they can go out as individuals who are confident in our love for them and God's love and desire for them to have a full understanding of joy.




No comments:

Post a Comment